When Lawson Hammocks first started developing a camping hammock, their goals included low impact, lightweight and tough. Find out how they met these and other goals while developing an ingenious, patented camping hammock.
There are a couple of reputable and well known camping hammocks on the market today, but one of the better known one’s is the Blue Ridge Camping Hammock by Lawson. Lawson Hammock Company has been around since 1997, and their Blue Ridge Camping Hammock is based upon years of research to develop a camping hammock that was lightweight, weatherproof, low impact on the environment, very tough, and adaptable to a wide variety of terrains. Let’s take a look at what they came up with that offered a solution to all of these concerns.
The first thing that I notice about the Blue Ridge Camping Hammock is that it has poles like a traditional tent. I have slept in a camping hammock before, and loved it. But it was more of a parachute type hammock, when you laid on it the hammock material hugged around your body. The Blue Ridge has both spreader bars and arch poles, and Lawson claims that they are at the heart of their patented system. The spreader bars open up the hammock, making it nice and roomy inside, while at the same time adding to its strength and durability. The arch poles at the head and foot of the hammock keep the canopy off of your face. These give a greater feeling of space, which is great if you suffer from even a tiny bit of claustrophobia.
Another great bonus to the spreader bars and arch poles is that it allows the Blue Ridge to be hung as a hammock using just two ropes attached to a set of trees, or you can set it up on the ground like a traditional tent, you just have to stake it down at each end. This versatility is not found in any of the other leading camping hammocks.
Let’s now take a look at each of the goals of Lawson when they first began research to come up with this ideal product.
- Lightweight – The Blue Ridge weighs just over 4 lbs, which is quite light considering it has poles. This makes it ideal for long hiking trips where your pack weight is a very real concern.
- Weatherproof – their camping hammock is 100% water and bug resistant. It has no-see-um mesh netting, and a full sized, detachable rain fly with sealed seams. To top it off, the entire hammock is urethane coated. These great hammocks have been used in very wet South American rain forests with great results and very happy customers.
- Environmentally low-impact – the straps or ropes used to hang the camping hammock do not harm trees, and means that there is no need to clear ground for setting up a tent. If you do choose to use it as a tent, it has a small foot print, meaning very little disturbance to the under story.
- Tough – Lawson uses strong aluminum alloy poles, a double coil nylon zipper and brass plated grommets. This combined with the finest materials, such as rip stop nylon, makes for one tough camping hammock. They are so confident in the quality of their product, that it is backed by a 100% money back guarantee.
- Adaptable to a variety of terrains – as mentioned above, the ability to use it as a hammock or a tent makes this one of the most versatile camping hammocks on the market today.
Guest Author: MJ Marks